Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Carmel Sprint Triathlon - Race Report

Carmel Sprint Tri (4/27) - P3 Overall - race time 51:34.6
Strava data from this race : Swim (no data) ; Bike; Run

I raced the Carmel Sprint Triathlon at short notice.  It had been a long time since I'd been in the pool but managed to get two swims in during the week preceding the event which gave me confidence I wasn't going to drown!  My Quaff ON! team mate, Erin Webb was competing in her first ever triathlon, I was there for moral support and to help with things like transition set up as much as to race myself.  In the end I came 3rd overall after a comically slow swim (124th out of 300 starters) - my bike and run redeemed me!  I often wonder what it would be like if I could swim - everyone assumes that my bike & run speed would mean domination but I doubt that I could retain that level of performance with the amount of time in the pool that would be necessary to get good at swimming.  And besides, I hate treadmills for running, and the pool is just a treadmill with greater sensory deprivation - I can't see me finding the motivation to make the leap to competent swimmer!  Erin had a great race, taking her age group and 6th overall female - I was able to run the final 1/2 mile with her yelling motivation as she finished strong.  As with most first time triathlon racers, the intensity of the race vs typical workouts or single discipline races surprised her, but she's hungry for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment